Technology is everywhere: apps, instant messaging, chat rooms, texts, emails, social networking sites and more. While the internet and social media can be extremely useful tools for teens and their parents, they can also cause anxiety and danger for both parties. Because technology changes daily, EPIC works to share knowledge with parents so that they may make informed decisions.
Tech Savvy is a one-hour workshop that provides fundamental information and practices about how to protect parents and children from internet and social media dangers and drama. The workshop can be offered for groups fewer than 50, or in a larger assembly type setting for over 50 participants. The target audience is 5th grade and older students, parents, or students and parents together. Each workshop can be delivered at a site of your choice and offers sufficient time for questions and answers.
- Improve understanding of general online rules and social media safety
- Increase parental confidence to protect children from harm
- Increase skill in identifying and reporting concerns to appropriate authorities
- Improve understanding of where to find other resources available from Internet Service Providers (ISPs), law enforcement and other sources
- Improve parents’ ability to talk to children about online expectations,
- Learn techniques for monitoring children's digital spaces
- Improve children's ability to use the Internet effectively, talk to their friends about privacy and what they need to know to be safe
"Thank you EPIC for a very informative and eye-opening presentation. Our parents truly appreciated the personal connections made and the individualized Q&A. Given all that our children can be exposed to and all the potential risks that they can expose themselves to, this presentation was not only timely but invaluable. We are looking forward to additional presentations.”
~ Colleen Klimchuck, Principal, East Aurora Central Schools