Storytime at Canalside Is BACK!
Storytime At Canalside went virtual in 2020- but this year, the popular summer program is back and better than ever!
"Storytime At Canalside: A Bicentennial Celebration" will kick off Wednesday, June 23. The program is sponsored by M&T Bank and the Children's Foundation of Erie County, and will run for 10 weeks, every Wednesday at 10:30am at Canalside. This year's theme is all about celebrating the 200 years of Erie County, with special guest readers and weekly themes to represent the many different facets of the city.
"Storytime at Canalside is a true community collaboration," says Jamie Rackl, EPIC's Director of Family Engagement and Professional Development. "Working with so many different partners is not only a wonderful experience for us, but a fantastic benefit for all the families that attend each week."
During the one-hour program, families hear a story read by a guest reader, and often interpreted in various additional languages. They also get to observe a live science experiment with the Buffalo Museum of Science, get a take-and-make craft bag from the Buffalo & Erie County Public Library, engage in imaginative play with Explore & More Children's Museum, and do a movement activity with the JCC or the YMCA.
"Storytime is a great way to show families that literacy isn't just reading a book," says Rackl. "Science is literacy, art is literacy. Using out bodies and minds in thematic ways helps build skills that in turn will help children overall."
For more information or to register for this free summer program, click here!
Storytime's summer themes are as follows:
- June 23: Looking Back at Our Roots: Indigenous Culture
- June 30: All Hail the Chief: Buffalo Presidents
- July 7: Wake Up & Smell the Cheerios: Buffalo Food
- July 14: Paint the Town: Buffalo Art
- July 21: Road to Freedom: The Underground Railroad
- July 28: City of Light: The Pan-Am Expo
- August 4: How We Roll: Buffalo Railroads
- August 11: The City of Good Neighbors
- August 18: 15 Miles on the Erie Canal: Buffalo Waterways
- August 25: Make Me Wanna Shout: Buffalo Sports