Family Engagement Assessment & Planning
When families and schools connect, students succeed
Family engagement is a shared responsibility in which schools and other community agencies and organizations are committed to reaching out to engage families in meaningful ways and in which families are committed to actively supporting their children's learning and development. It is continuous across a child's life and entails enduring commitment but changing parent roles as children mature into young adulthood. Effective family engagement cuts across and reinforces learning in the multiple settings where children learn- at home, in prekindergarten programs, in school, in after school programs, in faith-based institutions, and in the community.
- Dr. Heather Weiss, Harvard Family Research Project
Benefits of Family Engagment
Research tells us children with involved families:
- Have enhanced early and elementary literacy
- Show greater school readiness
- Earn higher grades and test scores
- Enroll in higher-level programs
- Are promoted and earn credits
- Adapt well to school and attend regularly
- Have better social skills and behavior
- Graduate and go on to higher education
How we can help you
EPIC is uniquely positioned to provide support to schools and school districts seeking to implement research-based family engagement strategies that support student achievement. The EPIC team has the expertise necessary to assess your family engagement policies and practices, creating a Differentiated Family Engagement ©plan framework that aligns the assessment data into a needed regulatory or standards base structure and the varying levels of parent need and ability to be engaged. Additionally, this plan will be full aligned with the six PTA National Standards for Family School Partnerships. The resulting assessment and plan will take your efforts “beyond random acts of family engagement” and put you in the position to have a systemic, focused and sustainable approach to engaging families.
Our Family Engagement Assessment provides analysis and recommendations to fully align your Family Engagement approach for the next 3—5 years with key regulations and funding requirements.
Our Family Engagement Assessment will consist of:
- Surveying current practices and placing them in the context of a Family Engagement plan framework that will address regulatory criteria
Criteria based review of key school or district documents noting Family Engagement policies and procedures found in various regulatory requirements for Family Engagement such as:
- School Improvement Grants
- ESSA Title I Funding,
- Teacher APPRs
- NYS School Comprehensive Educational Plans Tenet VI
- Diagnostic Tool for School and District Effectiveness (DTSDE) New York State Review criteria for Tenet VI
- NYS Teacher Standards
- School-Based Management Teams/Shared Decision-Making Teams (100.11)
- Assessing strengths and needs of the family friendliness of the physical school structure.
- Conducting focus groups that elicit the strengths and needs of family engagement practices and policies in the school or district
- Completing and analyzing a National Family Engagement Standards based rubric with a key school/district leadership
- Disseminating and analyzing parent surveys related to the National Standards for Family School Partnerships
- Making recommendations for structures, goals, strategies, and activities to begin or advance your Family Engagement program, including professional development
Our Planning approach can include:
- Facilitating meetings with your district or school Family Engagement (FE) staff leadership team to develop organizational strategies to support the implementation of assessment recommendations.
- Facilitating works groups made up of designated FE Steering/Advisory committee members or its equivalent to create a one year Family Engagement plan based on the assessment recommendations and aligned to required regulatory criteria
Consultation and Follow-up Services
- Delivering up-dated information regarding Family Engagement best practices
- Offering on-going technical assistance to FE leadership team or steering committee
- Providing trainings or workshops to address recommendations